This recipe was adapted from the one published in the Spring 2010 issue of Real Food to use Traditional ingredients and processes.
2 Cups JoshEWEa’s Garden Touch O’Honey Soaked & Dried Oatmeal Cereal
2 Cups JoshEWEa’s Garden Sprouted Wheat or Spelt Flour
½ teaspoon Celtic Sea Salt
1 teaspoon non-aluminum baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 Cup Rapadura Sugar
6 tablespoons organic butter, cold
¾ cup organic milk (raw if you can get it!)
1 Tablespoon organic Lemon juice
2 teaspoons organic vanilla
½ cup organic sugar
1 Tablespoon non-GMO cornstarch
2 cups frozen blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter or oil a 9×13-inch baking pan with 2-inch sides.
2. In a large bowl, combine Touch O’Honey soaked & dried oatmeal cereal, sprouted flour, salt, baking powder and soda and Rapadura sugar. Mix well. Using the large holes of a grater, shred in cold butter, and work in until the size of grains of rice.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, lemon juice, and vanilla. Stir into the oat mixture and mix well, then press a little more than half of the batter into the prepared pan.
4. In a food processor, combine sugar and cornstarch and process to mix well. Add half of the frozen berries and process to mince the berries. Working quickly stir the whole berries into the processor bowl and then spread the mixture evenly over the oat batter in the pan. Dollop the remaining batter evenly over the fruit. Bake for 50-55 minutes, until the top is deep golden and fruit is bubbling.
5. Remove the bars from oven, and, leaving them in their pan, cool on a rack. When cool cut into 3×6 inch squares to make 18 bars. You can wrap them individually in parchment paper and store in the freezer in an air tight container. Once removed they thaw in an hour or so.